You’re in safe hands with VSO ICS. Our training and support programme will make sure that you’re well prepared and confident before you go, during your placement and when you return from volunteering abroad.
Support before you go
- Support with practical preparations like visas, vaccinations and return flights.
- Three days of pre-departure training with other volunteers to help you understand development issues and prepare for living and working in a different culture.
- Support with your fundraising from a dedicated team member.
Support during your placement
- All your food and accommodation is provided and you’ll receive a modest volunteering allowance.
- Two Team Leaders, usually one UK and one local, who help support your team, along with a Project Co-ordinator who is a VSO employee within the community.
- You’re covered by VSO’s health insurance and backed up by a team of VSO staff in each country, with comprehensive safety and security procedures.
- You’ll receive more training on your arrival, which will include an introduction to the country, culture and language, as well as specific skills needed for your work.
- You’ll also support each other as you work together with your UK and in country volunteers.
Support when you get back
You’ll go to a returned volunteer workshop with other VSO ICS volunteers, where you will look at what you have learnt during your time overseas and how you can make the most of your experiences now you are back.
As part of the ICS programme you will need to complete your Action at Home. We’ll give you ideas and advice to help you continue to develop your skills and be an active citizen in your local community.
We’d love you to continue your involvement with VSO in the future too.
You don’t have to pay to volunteer with VSO ICS, but we do ask you to do some fundraising before you go abroad. This is a great opportunity to gain new skills and have fun, as well as raising awareness of international development.
All volunteers have a target of at least £800.
We’re with you all the way. You’ll receive one-to-one support, with lots of practical tips and materials to help you enjoy fundraising and smash your target. Contact us at any time if you want some help.