1. Getting local businesses to sponsor you
Lots of companies are making efforts to involve themselves more in their local communities and with their local charities. Why not ask local companies to sponsor you or your fundraising event? If you are doing an event you could offer to include the company’s logo on your banners or other promotional materials in return.
2. Approaching the right person
Try to find out who the right person is to approach in the company; do they have a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) or community team? Contact them directly via phone as it is much harder for people to say no to you if you are actually talking to them. If possible, try to arrange a meeting in person as this will help you get across your compelling personal story.
If you are invited in to talk about what you are doing, just be confident and be yourself. We can offer support with talking about why you are fundraising for VSO as well as powerpoint presentations and other materials you can use in these settings. Get in touch for further support!
3. Using your own workplace
Does your place of work have a scheme to match the value of your individual fundraising (this is often called matched giving)? This is another quick way of making your money grow. If they don’t, think about asking whether any of your friends’ employers have a similar scheme and see if they can do some fundraising on your behalf. Find further ideas on fundraising at work here.
4. Looking beyond sponsorship
There are lots of ways that companies in your area can help you with your fundraising – even if they are unable to offer financial support. You could try:
- Asking for donation of their products or vouchers for their services which you could use in a raffle or charity auction
- Ask if they will publicise your fundraising to staff in an email, or on their company intranet or notice board.
- If they are a public-facing company like a pub, gym or retailer ask if they will put up posters for you on their premises to promote your fundraising or see if they will take a collection box
Have you had a look at our top tips for making your money grow?!